“Pocket Miku” is a gadget with simplified version of Hatsune Miku software released by Japanese science magazine. Here is an English review from our good friend Fumi. (She was a speaker at Snow Miku festival 2012)
Pocket Miku (NSX-39) is a simplified version of Hatsune Miku for computers, it includes library developed by Crypton Future Media for NSX-1 based on the vocal library of Japanese Hatsune Miku. It is released under Gakken’s “Otona no Kagaku” series, which is a popular Japanese science magazine.
You can use the keyboard to make Miku sing in 3 different modes:
1) do-re-mi mode with scales (default)
2) a-i-u-e-o mode with vowels (shift + vibrato button)
3) preset mode with 5 lyrics (shift + aiueo buttons)
The device has a keyboard and 9 buttons.
1-5: a-i-u-e-o (vowels)
8: volume up
9: volume down
7+1-5: preset mode (lyrics)
7+6: do-re-mi mode (scale) <-> a-i-u-e-o mode (vowels)
7+8: octave up
7+9: octave down
6+8+keyboard: pitch bend (half note up)
6+9+keyboard: pitch bend (half note down)
Lower part of the keyboard has the scale for chromatic keyboard, and upper part of the keyboard has ribbon for portamento keyboard. You can play music using the stylus.
7+1: Konnichiwa Arigato (Hello, thank you)
1) Use battery
2) Use Micro-USB cable to connect
You can control Pocket Miku via Pocket Miku applications.
1) App to input lyrics
2) App to play in realtime
How to use the apps:
1) Connect Pocket Miku with your computer via Micro-USB cable
2) Enter the app URL in your browser (Google Chrome Version 33 or later)
3) Enable Web MIDI API (chrome://flags/#enable-web-midi) and reboot browser
4) Re-enter the app URL and agree to TOS. You will be able to connect with NSX-39 (Pocket Miku)
Pocket Miku uses an audio chip called NSX-1.
YAMAHA’s LSI NSX-1- specification (English)
YAMAHA’s open source sample apps for NSX-1 (Japanese)
Note: In order to use these applications for NSX-1, you must switch
Pocket Miku to “NSX-1 mode” by pushing 3 + 8 + 9 simultaneously.
– NSX-1 has 16 MIDI channels and Pocket Miku Voice is fixed to channel 1, so you can actually use other channels as GM voice set.
– NSX-1 has Reverb x 29 types, Chorus x 24 types, Insertion x 181 types and Master EQ (5 bands), so you can use those effects.
– You can customize the buttons using system exclusive message.
Many developers creating apps for Pocket Miku!
“Web MIDI API, Chrome for Android (not Chrome Beta) – using a smartphone to send system exclusive messages to Pocket Miku”
Blog post in Japanese is here
How to send system exclusive messages to Pocket Miku using Android – Web app using Web MIDI API & Android Chrome Beta
-Using XG effects of Pocket Miku using SONAR
-Text Input to Pocket Miku for Android Chrome beta will work with IE
(official app only works with Chrome)
-Created an app to enjoy the effects of Pocket Miku with iPhone
Panic Command: 1+8+9 (Use this command to reboot the chip and initialize MIDI setting and re-register table data)
Initialize Command: 7+8+9 (Use this command to revert back to factory default setting)
Tuning Command: 5+8+9 (Use this command to fix the tuning, touch each note on the keyboard with stylus)
NSX-1 App Compatible Mode: 3+8+9 (Use this mode to use apps and midi data for NSX-1)